Video acceleration on Mint 13

cstomberg

Video acceleration on Mint 13

Post by cstomberg »

Hi there,

Looking for some advice. I just got my Fit PC3 pro. I installed SSD; Linux Mint 13 installed flawlessly. Ran the install for the Radeon drivers. The hardware is incredibly well built, and the machine seems responsive and OS is running really well. But....

I really want this to run video, so getting graphics acceleration is critical. So far, not getting happy results. 720p rendering in Amazon Instant Video (which is Flash-based) is VERY choppy, and the system monitor reports max utilization on both cores. Ditto YouTube. Ditto some little video files viewed in the Movie Player. Just seems like acceleration is not turned on. Results not all that different from before I got the video driver installed.

Rummaging around in the Radeon driver, I actually don't see the range of video acceleration options I am familiar with from their Windows drivers. Tearing options are turned off. 3D options all turned off.

So..... Any thoughts? I really don't want to have to go through all the hassle of installing Windows, but if that is where I get reliable video, then I will go there. Want 1080p at non-choppy frame rate for video. Amazon Instant Video is a use-case for this box.

Thanks!
Chris

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Video acceleration on Mint 13

Post by gabrielh »

Dear Chris

From your post I see you haven't installed the video acceleration drivers. To gain video hardware acceleration, please follow this guide

http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fi ... ux_Mint_13

xvba drivers are necessary for enabling hardware acceleration.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

cstomberg

Re: Video acceleration on Mint 13

Post by cstomberg »

Thanks Gabriel, I will run that install and report back. I had thought that step was just necessary if I wanted to run the xmbc software. Odd that ATI didn't build video acceleration into the video driver.

Chris

Return to “Linux on fit-PC3”