Windows Server

pdavis

Windows Server

Post by pdavis »

There are some posts indicating that Windows Server 2003/2008 works on Fit-PC2.
Has anyone tried Windows Server 2003, 2008 or 2008R2 on a Fit-PC3?
2008R2 is 64-bit only - does this 64-bit version run on Fit-PC3?
I am hoping that the 4GB memory version can run reasonably as a server for small offices. External USB disks can hold extra data and backups. I don't care about real-time redundancy (RAID etc). I have some remote places that use solar power. A low-power server that can run directly from DC would be great!
Please post your experiences, thanks.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Windows Server

Post by gabrielh »

We haven't tested the Windows Server yet on the FitPC2/3. x64 OS will run on the FitPC3
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

pdavis

Post by pdavis »

I finally got a Fit-PC3 T56N 4GB last week. I put the Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit) installation onto a bootable pen drive using VirtualCloneDrive to mount the original ISO and WinToFlash to then write the files to the pen drive. I successfully booted from the pen drive and installed. It is running fine, the drivers were there for the LAN. I haven't tried using any of the wireless hardware. After initial installation using USB keyboard and mouse plus my TV with HDMI cable as a monitor, I can disconnect all these. It boots fine with just a power cable and LAN cable attached. It can then be accessed and managed over the LAN using remote desktop.
So yes, it is possible to run Windows Server for small office installations. Because these run off 12V, we plan to power them directly from a solar/battery system. Along with Alix 2D13 running pfSense (also 12V) and a suitable switch and access point, it should make a good 12V-based core network for a small office in places with power problems or no mains power.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Thank you for your feedback. It is very important to us.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

TheDude

Post by TheDude »

Since installing Windows Server 2008 R2 on our single Fit-PC, we've found the system becomes unresponsive after a Windows Update reboot.

The Fit-PC is in a datacentre so I can't have a look at it in-person to see what's wrong, but a pattern we've noticed is that after Windows Updates are installed the system doesn't respond to ping, we've no idea why (and we don't have any HDMI or DisplayPort monitors (only D-Sub VGA or DVI) to connect to it, so I get the on-site technicians to power-cycle the FitPC. After that it responds to ping okay, but the system itself behaves irratically. For example, after rebooting I was able to login via Remote Desktop Connection, but the graphics were corrupted (I didn't even think this was possible) but after about 30 seconds the system locked-up entirely, but still responds to ping. Right now we still can't get in to it, so I'll have to visit the DC in person at some point.

The other low-power machine in the same rack is an Apple Mac Mini, and that's been behaving perfectly (after our initial teething issues).

Does the Fit-PC staff have any idea what the problem might be? It can't be overheating because it's in a cold-aisle containment datacentre maintained at 20 degrees C.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC3”