Install Win7 over Ubuntu

karstenp

Install Win7 over Ubuntu

Post by karstenp »

I just got my fitPC and installed Ubuntu just to try it. But I have to install Win7 now, and I don't seem to be able to, becuse when I get to the screen where I choose partition, they are all partitioned in a format incaompatible with Windows (which needs ntfs). In Ubuntu Gparted lets me see my drives, but not reformat them (that option is blanked out). Can I format from BIOS? And if not what do I do?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Install Win7 over Ubuntu

Post by gabrielh »

To format the partition with the NTFS, please select the advanced option, when you asked to choose the target partition for the Windows 7 installation. Then format the partition(s) with the NTFS file system. Windows 7 will accept those partitions as a valid ones

Alternatively, you can just delete all partition that found on your harddrive (your custom data will be destroyed), and the Windows 7 setup will do the rest of the job. If you still have trouble with the Windows 7 installation, please attach to the post the printscreen with the trouble part
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

karstenp

Post by karstenp »

Thanks for the answer, but I just beat you to it with a hair. I did try what you suggested, but to no avail. Instead I did this: Ran a live Ubuntu. That gave me the possibility to change the format of the drive to ntfs. Now all I had to do was reboot and install.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I glad to hear you have managed to install Windows 7
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC3”