fit-PC3 power supply for use in Car

pitr

fit-PC3 power supply for use in Car

Post by pitr »

Hi,

I would like to use the fit-PC3 for use in car for logging OBD-data and to act as a USB slave to my audio installation. USB slave can be achieved using linux' USB Gadget implementation. Using wifi, the fit-pc will synchronise my music volume when I am near home. As soon as the car is started, the music volume will be available to the USB host again.

To achieve this, I would prefer to directly connect the fit-PC3 to a 12V car powersupply. I have been looking for DC-DC inverters but my knowledge of this expertise is limited.

I have found this device: http://store.mp3car.com/Intelligent_DC_ ... wr-034.htm

"DCDC-USB is a high power intelligent DC-DC converter. This unit accepts any input ranging from 6-34V. Output is 12V regulated or output can be changed with simple jumper settings to 5V, 6V, 9V, 12V, 13.5V, 18V or 24V or via USB in fine increments (0.25V) anywhere from 5-24V."

Will I be able to power my fit-PC3 with this device? I have ordered the LP-version of the fit-PC3.

Thanks for the replies!

Pieter

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: fit-PC3 power supply for use in Car

Post by gabrielh »

According to the specs it should work. Please take this advice with a limited warranty because we haven't tested this specific power supply.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

pitr

Post by pitr »

Thanks! I have ordered it and will let you know how it performs.

Poita

Post by Poita »

Hi, I have the same power supply and am in the process of setting up a car PC with the fit-PC3.
My query is with the power button on the fit-PC3... I am trying to use the pulse output from the DC/DC power supply to switch the fit-PC3 off by soldering to the appropriate terminals of the fit-PC3 ON/OFF switch.

The 2 rear pins of the switch are connected together by a track, and the 2 front pins are connected together when I test using a multimeter. But when I press the switches button, nothing changes?? I would expect that the front pins would be briefly connected to the rear pins or something like that.
Can you provide me with any more detail? The power switch still works as I can turn the fit-PC3 on and off using it.

Thanks
Peter

Edit: figured it out, my stupid mistake :oops:
Power supply is now up and working awesome with the fit-PC3!

Return to “fit-PC3 hardware”