Boot problems when USB drive attached

dhwalker

Boot problems when USB drive attached

Post by dhwalker »

I recently replaced my old Fit-PC with a Fit-PC3. Overall, I'm very happy with the additional speed and capacity, but I'm having one problem that I'd like to resolve.

The system would not boot when one of my Seagate external USB drives was attached; it would freeze on the "Press F2 for System Utilities" screen. I found that disabling "USB Legacy Support" in the BIOS makes booting work properly. but it also disables use of my USB keyboard in GRUB. The keyboard works for interacting with the BIOS and and for Linux, but not GRUB. (I can provide more information about the drive and my overall configuration, if that will help.)

I am currently running version 2.1.0.333_11 of the BIOS, and I noticed that the latest BIOS would modify the boot priorities, so I decided to install the latest BIOS (2.1.0.333_13) to see if it would correct my boot problem. Unfortunately, the md5 checksum in the wiki (C8D319E9CE0089C4704F5FA221FB9451) doesn't match the value I get by running md5sum against the downloaded file (75b72881c70f4c90ccf72d97be63b0d6).

So, two questions:

1. Can someone resolve the md5sum discrepancy, and
2. Is installing the new BIOS likely to solve my problem?

Thanks.

David Walker
David Walker

dhwalker

Re: Boot problems when USB drive attached

Post by dhwalker »

Hello?

Perhaps I provided too much information for a quick reply... The main thing I need is resolution of the MD5 hash issue for version 2.1.0.333_13 of the Fit-PC3 BIOS. The MD5 sum displayed on the web page does not match what I get from running md5sum on the downloaded file.

David
David Walker

AndrueCope

Post by AndrueCope »

Lol, sounds similar to my problem. In my case since allowing Win 7 to recover from sysprep the FitPC3 keeps trying to boot from one of the external drives. The only way to stop it is to move all USB HDDs below the internal HDD in the boot order. That's fine for normal running but if I'm doing a recovery from backup I want to boot from a USB stick and it is grouped with the external drives. That means I have to unplug the external drives in order to boot off the recovery media. What I don't yet know is if my backup software can detect hot plugging of USB media.

Now in my case it seems to be something that the Windows installer did (it was fine the first time it booted) but I don't know what.

chriskuta

Post by chriskuta »

My FitPC3 also hangs on boot when I have my USB drive plugged in.. its really annoying.

Any one have a solution? Does the latest BIOS solve the problem?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Hi,
Please try to be more explicit -
Your fit-PC3 hangs and freezes during boot while having USB flash drive plugged in?
a. Is this something that happens every time or sometimes?
b. Does the computer come out from this state after some timeout interval or system require a reset?
c. What BIOS version is installed on your fit-PC3?

Thanks,
Maxim.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

In addition to the previous,

another question -
Do you experience this issue on some certain USB port or on every USB port?
Is it USB3 port?

Return to “fit-PC3 BIOS”