Audible humming / ticking in fit-PC3

johnsandiford

Re: Audible humming / ticking in fit-PC3

Post by johnsandiford »

irads wrote:We will check whether skip-mode can be optionally disabled for users who appreciate silence over power saving.
Any update on this Irad? My intended use of fit-PC3 is a 24/7 server; whilst I don't think the audible humming/ticking is a deal breaker it would be nice to be able to control it if required. Thanks.

irads

Post by irads »

We know how to control the idle voltage level (which directly affects the humming) using system registers. We are now integrating it into BIOS.
A BIOS update will enable noise reduction option on all fit-PC3.

nelg

Post by nelg »

irads wrote:We know how to control the idle voltage level (which directly affects the humming) using system registers. We are now integrating it into BIOS.
A BIOS update will enable noise reduction option on all fit-PC3.
This is good news, because it's a deal breaker for me too. It needs to not make little noises that are audible from 1 meter away, I would be happy to have it use more power to stay quite.

tCC

Post by tCC »

Very good news indeed, can't wait :)

mirumu

Post by mirumu »

That sounds great. Thanks once again.

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Thanks.

Having this as a BIOS feature will allow people to see if the noise really
affects them in their use of the fit-PC3. And change as needed without
hardware work.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

serialhobbyist

Post by serialhobbyist »

I agree with the others. I bought mine to be an HTPC and I expected it to be silent - that's why I paid so much for such a tiddly-sized SDD. Ticking is worse than a fan because it's intermittent, so it attracts attention.

I can't recommend this to my friends, at the moment.

pion

Silence Illuminated

Post by pion »

I heard the birds' whisper the BIOS integration miserably failed due to stability problems on low CPU load and all current fit-pc3 will be swapped to jet pilots to serve as their HTPCs.

Another bird instead told that the consumers seeing the issue as the problem are supposed to fill RMA and get special "Silence Illuminated" gift with the case frame ballast made of flash LEDs connected to 2 USB front ports in exchange. The bird commented the LEDs color will be bluish white so the installation will not be an obstacle for using physically built-in IR receiver that BTW was pushed off the specs for otherwise the best HTPC contender.

No further exaggeration WoL functionality supposed to be a standard for all newest batches since implementing special WakeUp Electronic Pedal Pusher (WUEPP) with the driver accepting MAC packets to perform the intended operation. The signed driver will be available next April, 1st at least for WinXP and Mint 32-bit versions.

8-)

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

Any word on how this fix is progressing? I've been waiting to order until the problem is fixed but it's been a few months now with no update.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

All latest models of the FitPC3 are now updated with this feature. We will post soon the latest BIOS update, so our valued customers will be able to update their FitPC3 to gain this feature on demand
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”