Intense PC as HTPC (XBMC)

Find Intense PC news at https://plus.google.com/+Fitpc-by-compulab/
evilsync

Intense PC as HTPC (XBMC)

Post by evilsync »

Hi,

I'm potentially looking at purchasing one of these for my folks (I currently have a HTPC setup in a silverstone HTPC case) to use as HTPC running XBMC on Windows 8, and have a few questions:

- Can it run 1080p videos over XBMC without any lag? Any special requirements for drivers etc?
- Can it do audio pass through like ATI graphics cards? i.e. video and audio through the HDMI
- This doesn't appear to have in-built IR receiver, what would be the best way to get infrared (e.g. MCE) receiver working on this machine to control everything through a remote including turning on/off? Any potential problems to look out for here with regards to compatibility?
- Does it run hot (can you touch it while its running)?
- Can it run in small enclosed spaces?
- If I purchased it (as an identified Aussie), does it come with an Australian power adapter? Or will I need to purchase one from a third party?
- Can it do Windows 8 (looks like there is no order option for it)?

Thank you,

Cheers.

irads

Re: Intense PC as HTPC (XBMC)

Post by irads »

I assume Intense PC Pro in the answers below. Bear in mind that Windows 7 is fully supported. Windows 8 is known to work but is not supported. XBMC should not care.
- Can it run 1080p videos over XBMC without any lag? Any special requirements for drivers etc?
Intense PC Pro would run 1080p in XBMC perfectly.
- Can it do audio pass through like ATI graphics cards? i.e. video and audio through the HDMI
Yes.
- This doesn't appear to have in-built IR receiver, what would be the best way to get infrared (e.g. MCE) receiver working on this machine to control everything through a remote including turning on/off? Any potential problems to look out for here with regards to compatibility?
Turning on/off cannot be supported, but it can be left on consuming very little power. For all other functionality a USB IR dongle at the front with Windows drivers should do the job.
- Does it run hot (can you touch it while its running)?
As hot as touching a cup of tea, depending on load.
- Can it run in small enclosed spaces?
Yes, but it would get hotter this way.
- If I purchased it (as an identified Aussie), does it come with an Australian power adapter? Or will I need to purchase one from a third party?
We ship to Australia with an Australian cord. The cord used is a standard kettle lead, so if for some reason you don't receive one it would be easy to acquire.
- Can it do Windows 8 (looks like there is no order option for it)?
Windows 8 is known to work but is not supported. XBMC should not care.

Return to “General Intense PC questions”