View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:07 am



Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:24 am
Posts: 20
Post mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot
Hi there,

I would like to use fit-PC 3 Pro to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows XP. I would like to install Windows 7 on an mSATA drive and Windows XP on a HDD. I would like to be sure that this idea is perfectly workable before spending any money.

As there are no AHCI drivers for Windows XP, the BIOS will need to be set to 'IDE mode'. So am I correct in thinking that Windows 7 will also need to be used in 'IDE mode'?

Will 'IDE mode' effect the performance or compatibility of an mSATA drive?

If 'mSATA' is selected as the boot device, I assume that Windows 7 (installed on the mSATA drive) will have no problem accessing the HDD, but will Windows XP (installed on the HDD) have any problems accessing the mSATA drive?

Are there any other potential problems with this idea that I am missing?

Thanks very much for your help

Andy


Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm
Posts: 1260
Post Re: mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot
Quote:
As there are no AHCI drivers for Windows XP, the BIOS will need to be set to 'IDE mode'. So am I correct in thinking that Windows 7 will also need to be used in 'IDE mode'?

You don't have to install Windows 7 in IDE mode. Just don't forget to switch back to IDE while booting Windows XP.

Quote:
Will 'IDE mode' effect the performance or compatibility of an mSATA drive?

Operating in IDE mode, will lack the SATA special commands for the SATA drives.

Quote:
If 'mSATA' is selected as the boot device, I assume that Windows 7 (installed on the mSATA drive) will have no problem accessing the HDD, but will Windows XP (installed on the HDD) have any problems accessing the mSATA drive?

mSATA drive is seen like SATA device by OS

Quote:
Are there any other potential problems with this idea that I am missing?

We haven't tested such configuration, but I don't see a problem with such a setup. May be other users share their experience.

_________________
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.


Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.