mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
Andy

mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot

Post by Andy »

Hi there,

I would like to use fit-PC 3 Pro to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows XP. I would like to install Windows 7 on an mSATA drive and Windows XP on a HDD. I would like to be sure that this idea is perfectly workable before spending any money.

As there are no AHCI drivers for Windows XP, the BIOS will need to be set to 'IDE mode'. So am I correct in thinking that Windows 7 will also need to be used in 'IDE mode'?

Will 'IDE mode' effect the performance or compatibility of an mSATA drive?

If 'mSATA' is selected as the boot device, I assume that Windows 7 (installed on the mSATA drive) will have no problem accessing the HDD, but will Windows XP (installed on the HDD) have any problems accessing the mSATA drive?

Are there any other potential problems with this idea that I am missing?

Thanks very much for your help

Andy

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: mSATA and HDD Dual-Boot

Post by gabrielh »

As there are no AHCI drivers for Windows XP, the BIOS will need to be set to 'IDE mode'. So am I correct in thinking that Windows 7 will also need to be used in 'IDE mode'?
You don't have to install Windows 7 in IDE mode. Just don't forget to switch back to IDE while booting Windows XP.
Will 'IDE mode' effect the performance or compatibility of an mSATA drive?
Operating in IDE mode, will lack the SATA special commands for the SATA drives.
If 'mSATA' is selected as the boot device, I assume that Windows 7 (installed on the mSATA drive) will have no problem accessing the HDD, but will Windows XP (installed on the HDD) have any problems accessing the mSATA drive?
mSATA drive is seen like SATA device by OS
Are there any other potential problems with this idea that I am missing?
We haven't tested such configuration, but I don't see a problem with such a setup. May be other users share their experience.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “Storage”