USB3

USB ports capabilities
joshualibrarian

USB3

Post by joshualibrarian »

Hello,

I have just gotten my fitpc3 pro and have installed Linux Mint 14 (x64) on it and it mostly works (aside from the ongoing thread about my dual monitor problem). I figured I would put this in a separate post.

The USB3 ports work... intermittently. At the initial bios boot screen, the hard drive I have plugged into the USB3 port shows up just fine, and for a while it WAS working just fine... and then, I think precipitated by a SUSPEND, it isn't working anymore, though still shows up in the boot splash screen.

Everything I can find on the linux mint forums say that USB3 should be supported, and it did work for a while, but now doesn't seem to work at all.

Ideas?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: USB3

Post by gabrielh »

Good day.

What is the BIOS version of your FitPC3 and what is mainboard revision you have?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

joshualibrarian

BIOS version is: SBC_2.1.0.333_12 X64

How do I determine the mainboard revision?

Thank you!

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Please remove the one-screw-service door, and attach the picture of the main board to the post. That will be enough
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

joshualibrarian

Well, not having a camera (I know, the last person in the country), I figured I would easily be able to identify a useful mainboard revision number, having been a computer tech a long time and looked at many motherboards. Strangely no number really stood out as an obvious mainboard revision number as I expected. I wrote down several of the numbers I saw.

The one that looked most likely, just under the mini-pci expansion ports is: 1V5_S0

Prominently on two square chips is:
2R2

Also, since I had to take all the bottom screws out anyway since I am using this nice mounting bracked to mount it to the wall, I took the entire cover off and noticed that the USB3 ports have a sticker on it reading: Pheonix 008879090

Also, if it helps, the serial number of the machine is:
1120506-00313

I hope some of this can positively identify it for you, if not please give further instructions.

Thanks,
Joshua

irads

Post by irads »

We are not familiar with different behavior between the two USB3 ports.
The USB3 issue may be a HW problem with that specific fit-PC3.
I suggest to proceed with RMA and resume support if the problem persists.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

I think I know the answer. There is an entire section of the bios devoted to how the usb ports should be powered. The default is "auto", and I don't think anyone has checked to see what else beside "auto" there is. It turns out that all the usb ports have options in which the user can choose to keep the ports powered to various levels during operation, without leaving it to the bios to switch off usb3 devices, such as the wifi dongle, in mid-operation, as has been the case until now.

I don't have my Compulab beginner NUC any more, but I'll bet there is someplace in the bios that sets policies for the USB plugs, and choosing "auto" is a bad idea if you want the front plugs to work. But, you'll have to check that one for me.

Return to “USB”