Temperature control & monitoring temperature

Power discussions, CPU and case temperature
pitr

Temperature control & monitoring temperature

Post by pitr »

Hi,

Having successfully set-up the fit-pc3 according to my wishes as a security/domotica/hometheater box (all in one fit-pc!), I noticed the fit-pc3 becoming rather hot.

Regarding temperature, I have the following questions:
1) What kind of usage increases temperature of the fit-pc3?
2) Can you recommend external cooling solutions (heatsink?) to better control the temperature?
3) Do you have software available for Windows 7 to read the temperature sensors, or is there standard software available for this purpose? I already tried the Windows 7 Temperature gadget, but that seems hardware-specific.

Kind regards,

Pieter

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Temperature control & monitoring temperature

Post by gabrielh »

You can always use the free peace of software called speedfan to monitor the temperature. In addition please try the "Aggressive power management". It is a little bit noisy, but it will reduce the power consumption/heat.

The most temperature affective usage is the CPU load. You can try to stop some unneeded processes to decrease some CPU activity.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

pitr

Post by pitr »

Hi,

Where can I set the 'Aggressive power management' ? Is that a specific fit-pc3 setting, or a general term to indicate power management policies in windows?

Kind regards,

Pieter

pitr

Post by pitr »

I forgot to mention the temperatures: at boot, CPU temperature starts at 58C. After a few minutes, temperature rises to 62C. The temperature stays at 62C under full load (watching video). It still feels hot to the touch, so I was wondering what could be done to decrease the temperature.

sesterce

Post by sesterce »

It is found in the BIOS.

AMD -> Processor Settings -> Aggressive CPU Power Management

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

pitr wrote:I forgot to mention the temperatures: at boot, CPU temperature starts at 58C. After a few minutes, temperature rises to 62C. The temperature stays at 62C under full load (watching video). It still feels hot to the touch, so I was wondering what could be done to decrease the temperature.
It is absolutely normal temperature range. Where is your FitPC3 located?
Gabriel Heifets

pitr

Post by pitr »

The option is not available in the BIOS. I only have some TC options, which are on 'Automatic', except for TC Override which is on Disabled.

I put the Fit-PC3 on its side to allow proper release of the heat.

pitr

Post by pitr »

bump :)

Recently I have another issue: the FIT-PC produces a rattling noise when the CPU is idle. When performing activities (file search, logging into remote desktop, playing video over network) the noise is gone. As soon as the system is idle, the noise returns.

Is this the noise you referred to earlier?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

sesterce wrote:It is found in the BIOS.

AMD -> Processor Settings -> Aggressive CPU Power Management
Please disable the aggressive CPU power management
Gabriel Heifets

pitr

Post by pitr »

pitr wrote:The option is not available in the BIOS. I only have some TC options, which are on 'Automatic', except for TC Override which is on Disabled..
As I said a few months ago, I can't find the option. Do I have an old BIOS perhaps?

Kind regards,

Pieter

Return to “Power and Heat”