Headless/Monitorless Windows 7

grzeszek101

Headless/Monitorless Windows 7

Post by grzeszek101 »

Hi,

I am setting up the Intense PC Value barebones that I recently purchased and have installed Windows 7 Home. I am planning to use it as a server so I want it to run headless. I am using TightVNC to access the Intense PC, and when a monitor is connected, even if it is off, I can remotely access and see a screen. When the monitor is disconnected, I can remotely access, but I cannot see a screen through the remote access. What am I doing wrong?

I have the identical setup on a Fit-PC2 using Windows 7 Home and on a second system using Windows 7 Home - both without monitors connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Headless/Monitorless Windows 7

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

You are doing nothing wrong. The problem is related to the driver. When the is no detected monitor, the driver turns off the video out, hence, your are unable to get a video while using the VNC like protocol. We are working on a headless driver solution, but I can't provide you with a time frame for now.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

grzeszek101

Post by grzeszek101 »

Hi,

I just wanted to check if there is any date for a headless Windows 7 solution for the Intense PC Value?

Thanks

zubenelgenubi

Post by zubenelgenubi »

I am also looking for headless VNC operation. Could we get an update on timeframe for this driver?

TIA

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Not yet, sorry.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

IntensePC_User

Post by IntensePC_User »

I'm also struggling to get a working solution for remote maintenance when running without a display attached.

I'd like to use a VNC based solution, but running headless the machine returns a resolution of 0 x 0 px, which VNC clients do not appear to like.

Microsoft RDP works well enough but it runs as a new session and is more difficult to use across the internet.

Would it be possible to force the video into an ON state? Maybe in the Windows registry?

Thanks.

grzeszek101

Post by grzeszek101 »

Hi,

I am using TightVNC at this point. What is happening is that I need to connect with TightVNC when a monitor is connected, but once this first session is initiated, I can disconnect the monitor. Even if I disconnect from TightVNC Viewer, next time, it still believes that the monitor is connected.

It is not great, but at least I only need to connect the monitor each time my server is restarted.

Let me know if you have any better luck.

IntensePC_User

Post by IntensePC_User »

I've noticed this behaviour as well. You don't even have to boot with the display attached, just attach one temporarily. Unfortunately, once my units are "deployed" they run headless with no user interaction and are installed in remote locations offsite with little/no access.

Even services such as LogMeIn *seem* to rely on VNC protocols to function correctly, or at least they exhibit a similar problem.

I'm working to build a HDMI dummy plug, i'll report back with any progress.

For what it's worth, i've got two other embedded PCs sitting next to me that both have intel graphics and both can run headless without any problems, though one of them required a BIOS update to do so. But, compared to the Intense PC Pro, one costs much more and the other has poorer temperature specs.

My fingers are crossed that CompuLab will be able to implement this feature in a BIOS update.

Thanks!

Oh, btw, grzeszek101, I usually use UltraVNC. Do you have any experience comparing Tight & Ultra?

grzeszek101

Post by grzeszek101 »

Agreed, I also see that I just need to plug in the monitor, no need to boot with monitor in place.

Great, please do let me know if you have any luck with the dummy plug.

Interestingly, the previous Fit-PCs ran headless so I was quite surprised when I discovered the problem so I can't see how

Sorry, I really don't remember, somewhere in the past I started using TightVNC, played with a couple of the then available options, but somehow chose TightVNC.

Good luck!

IntensePC_User

Post by IntensePC_User »

I've got some good news! :mrgreen:

First the failed attempts:
I tried a "dummy plug" on the HDMI port and it didn't work. To be clear, I cut one end off of an HDMI cable and shorted pin 18 (+5V) to pin 19 (Hot Plug Detect) in an attempt to make the computer think a monitor was attached. Unfortunately it seems that the computer needs EDID information to recognize a connection.

I could not try a "dummy plug" on the DisplayPort connection since I couldn't source a full sized DisplayPort cable locally.

I was unable to find any freely available "virtual video drivers" for Windows 7. I tried out a few drivers that really ended up being just mirror drivers rather than virtual display drivers.

A driver I found that did work can be used by installing an application called "iDisplay." It's meant to allow for USB/WiFi display on iOS or Android tablets. The tablet app isn't free, but the application you have to install on your computer to make it work is. And It works as a virtual video driver. But, it only works without a tablet for two relatively low resolutions, and in portrait rather than landscape.

Now the good news:
You can trick Windows 7 into thinking a VGA display is attached (Thanks goes to ZoneOS's webpage for the info). First, attach a monitor so you can see what you're doing. Now, right click on your desktop, click "Screen Resolution." In the pop-up, click "Detect." You'll notice that a second monitor appears in the picture and says "Another display not detected." Select that second display. Under the "Multiple Displays" selection, select "Try to connect anyway on: VGA." Once you've done this, click "Apply." Now, reselect the first display and in the "Multiple Displays" selection, select "Duplicate these Displays" and click "Apply."

Once complete you should have a working virtual display. Now you can remove the actual monitor, restart, and verify it works for you. This method forces the video card to be on and the Intel Drivers actually load! It seems to be persistent through restarts, shutdowns, sleep, hibernate, and power loss. I've not yet been able to test through a BSOD, but here's hoping.

I'd really appreciate it if you could report back with any problems or successes.

Cheers

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”