suspend to ram not working

hma

suspend to ram not working

Post by hma »

Hello,

When I put the machine into suspend to RAM, everything seems fine, but when trying to wake it back up, the green logo flashes for a very short moment, then goes off and after some seconds the computer seems to make a cold restart and the session is lost.
Sometimes it doesn't even restart properly, but is stuck with the green logo on, display and keyboard (NumLock) not working at all and I have to make a hard reset.
Happens both under Win7Pro and Linux, so seems like a hardware or BIOS issue to me. Maybe I missed a power setting somewhere in the BIOS?
Waking up after suspend to disk works fine (at least under Win7).

Maybe related: Sometimes, but not always, when doing a warm restart, the machine takes much longer than a usual cold start (at least 3 times as long), especially when showing the very first boot screen (where entering the BIOS is still possible).

Intense PC Pro (i7), latest BIOS
256GB SSDs in both sata and msata slots
8GB RAM in both slots
nothing connected but keyboard, mouse and screen (HDMI or DP doesn't matter)

Thanks for your help,
Hendrik

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: suspend to ram not working

Post by gabrielh »

Please perform the following test:

Disconnect both SSD drives, and install a mechanical (HDD) SATA data storage. Make a clean Win7 setup, and try to reproduce your issue.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

hma

Post by hma »

I don't have a HDD available at the moment, but if I disconnect only the msata-SSD or both SSDs, I can use suspend to ram normally (e.g. from a live USB session).
If I put back the msata-SSD, the issues as described above reappear, reproducable.
This also affects the longer time for warm restarts, apparently.
Could I have missed or misconfigured something in the BIOS?

I'm using a Crucial m4 256GB (CT256M4SSD3) in the msata slot, even with the latest firmware 07MH from last week no changes.
Unfortunately I neither have another msata-ssd nor another machine with an msata-slot. But apart from this issue the disk seems to run fine..
BIOS is latest (CR_2.2.0.346 X64) with standard settings.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

The most likely reason for the described above issue related to your mSATA SSD brand/manufacturer.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

hma

Post by hma »

Could be, but I don't want to buy new hardware on spec if I'm not sure that it solves the problem. As long as you can't recommend any specific brand/model I find this a difficult situation. The compatibility of the mSSD model I use seems unproblematic on other hardware.

But I just stumbled across this post of a colleague of yours:
http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=4805
Could this be related to my issue (esp. the necessity to disable sleep mode)?
How do I determine my HW rev. and its limitations? The SN is 1120905-01074.

Thanks,
Hendrik

hma

Post by hma »

Unfortunately the new BIOS update doesn't solve my issues described in this thread.

Thanks for more help,
Hendrik

hma

Post by hma »

Any news on this?

hma

Post by hma »

The issue seems to be gone after exchanging the unit to an Intense PC with hardware rev. 1.2 (with mSATA support)

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”