Audio anomalies (linux)

biterror

Audio anomalies (linux)

Post by biterror »

Hi,

I'm running the Linux Mint supplied on the hard disk with Intense PC and Mint Mate 14 on the i7 version of Intense PC. When playing music from Spotify (the linux client) or Youtube or VLC, the sound is mostly ok.

However, every now and then it sounds like the sample rate was temporarily changed and/or a short slice of the music was played twice. This happens randomly and is barely noticeable, The phenomenon does not depend on the audio output type used (digital or analog) or system load (not directly, at least). I haven't tried using HDMI output yet.

Some kind of a buffering problem, over/underrun, perhaps?

EDIT: Sometimes the audio hw plays the same short section of data twice. (Happened two times during one song.)

EDIT#2: I upgraded my xubuntu 12.10 box to xubuntu 13.04 and now digital audio output doesn't work any more. I filed a bug report using ubuntu-bug.

EDIT#3: It seems the skipping or stuttering in audio output is caused by the WIFI driver. When I disable WIFI, the problem goes away. When I enable WIFI again, the sound stutters immediately (almost every time). The same happens with the mainline kernel (3.9.0-030900rc8-generic). I think the WIFI driver might keep interrupts disabled for extended periods of time because it affects video playback, animations etc. as well.

nbpf

Re: Audio anomalies (linux)

Post by nbpf »

Hi, is the issue meanwhile solved ? I'm considering buying a i5 Intense PC (or even a Low Power PC3) to run a small DLNS + MPD server and a Wireless Bridge based on a minimal Debian / GNU Linux system. I'd like to make sure I'm not going to run into this kind of problems. Thanks, nbpf

biterror

Post by biterror »

The problem is caused by the wireless lan driver. I have disabled WIFI and sound works ok. I haven't upgraded to latest Mint/xubuntu, so I don't know if the driver has been fixed or not.

nbpf

Post by nbpf »

biterror wrote:The problem is caused by the wireless lan driver. I have disabled WIFI and sound works ok. I haven't upgraded to latest Mint/xubuntu, so I don't know if the driver has been fixed or not.
Too bad, this makes the Intense PC + Mint/xubuntu combination more or less unusable as wireless bridge and MPD server. Thanks for your ready reply, nbpf

biterror

Post by biterror »

A colleague is running a newer linux version and says he has no audio problems even when wifi is enabled.

Return to “Audio”