Linux Mint Edition with gma500_gfx

DocLight

Linux Mint Edition with gma500_gfx

Post by DocLight »

Hi!
Because newer kernel >= 3.3 contain the gma500_gfx kernel driver (renamed psb_gfx) it would be nice if there will be support by CompuLab for set up a new Mint-Release based on LMDE 201204 / Ubuntu 12.04 and kernel 3.3.x.

Would it be possible? Maybe pre-compiled Iso-images or some tutorial for kernel update of default 1204?

Thanks a lot

DocLight

Re: Linux Mint Edition with gma500_gfx

Post by DocLight »

mmh, no comment by officials?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

If you want to update your kernel
Please go to the http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and download the desired kernel image and the headers
Use dpg -i to install the kernel

This kernel was not tested yet with linux mint 12
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

prj

Post by prj »

You can also compile your own kernel (at your own risk). There are some required packages that you need before you can do this, but a simple google search should be able to answer that.

On Ubuntu (and likely any other distribution) you can do:

Code: Select all

# Download and unpack whatever kernel version you prefer and change into that directory
make oldconfig
make -j4
sudo make modules_install
sudo make install
"make oldconfig" will try to configure the kernel based on your current config. Some new things might be available in your new kernel, and you will be asked how to configure it. Usually you can just press enter on those questions. If you need to make any changes to the kernel, do a "make menuconfig" before "make -j4". If you want to try the gma500_gfx driver, make sure it is selected as M (module). It can be found in:

Device drivers -> Graphics support -> Direct Rendering Manager -> Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer.

Then you reboot and select the new kernel from your grub menu.

vtailor

Post by vtailor »

That's cute. Es wird gar nicht helfen. You can do whatever you want with Linux Mint and all the near Ubuntus around, and you still get the same thing: They use a window manager, AKA "desktop", that is designed to get EDID information and I don't know what else from a video driver [emgd, gma500, etc.] that is not designed to give this information. Furthermore, the simple .xinitrc of other distributions is replaced by a distributed xinitrc.d or whatever that goes on and on xiniting, but doesn't get there. In other words, they are ganz meshugah.

And, anyway, people should know by now that any Ubuntuness responding so slowly, even in simple framebuffer mode, can't possibly benefit from emgd_drv.so type "acceleration". I am writing this from RIPLinuX on the z510, which is fast as a slow bunny, even with its extremely simple X-windows (successor to W-windows), and relies on the latest in Slugware kernels to get the /dev/fb0.

DocLight

Post by DocLight »

ok... but i write this on my Z550-based fitPC2i using a well configured Mint 13 Mate with tuned EMGD (surf station & more) - and i'm not unhappy :)

Return to “Linux Mint”