can GPU turn off feature be defeated?

Find fit-PC3 news at https://plus.google.com/+Fitpc-by-compulab/
boatbum

can GPU turn off feature be defeated?

Post by boatbum »

If it meets my needs I hope to use a PC3 unit with a usb monitor to further save power. In your documentation you state that when the (DVI) monitor is removed the graphics (section of the) chip powers down to save power. Can this feature be defeated? With a usb monitor there would be no plug in either of the standard monitor ports but I would need the GPU section of the chip to still be able to be active. For graphics use and for OpenCL.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: can GPU turn off feature be defeated?

Post by gabrielh »

We have contacted AMD with this issue and we are working toward a solution
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: can GPU turn off feature be defeated?

Post by gabrielh »

According to AMD answer
- If a USB monitor is a DisplayLink or "MCT Trigger 1+ " type - it is detected by the BIOS as secondary USB display device and all
the GPU related resources are available. However, the correct operation is strongly driver dependent, therefore, no 100% guarantee that
any DisplayLink or "MCT Trigger 1+ " based adapter will use the GPU.
- The defaults of GPU resources availability are configured in BIOS (their can not be changed from the BIOS's GUI). The defaults are:
>> With no display device connected, part of GPU resources are still available for OpenCL,
>> If a DisplayLink or a "MCT Trigger 1+ " detected - all the GPU resources are available.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “General fit-PC3 questions”