Wake on Time

mikemh

Wake on Time

Post by mikemh »

Hello,

I´m interested in a fit-pc2. Smart design and low engery costs.
I need a computer which automatically starts early in the morning to execute some standard workflows (backup, dump,... webconnection...)

My actual shuttle-pc ca wake up automatically by bios wake up e.g. at 7am and start the system.

Is this possible here, too?

Regards
Mike

irads

Re: Wake on Time

Post by irads »

Currently wake-on-timer is not supported.
Note that fit-PC2 power consumption when idling with the disk stopped is just 4W - you may consider not turning it off overnight.

mikemh

Post by mikemh »

Hi,

thats a really good argument. But I think 24/7 run is very strong for hardware... isn´t it?

benwhite

Post by benwhite »

Typically, electronics fail due to repeated warm up, cool down cycles.

Leaving a computer always on will actually extend the life of the computer, compared to turning on and off daily.
Ben White
Media Enthusiast

irads

Post by irads »

In most computers, the elements that suffer from 24/7 operation are mechanical - mostly fan bearings wear and accumulation of dust in airways.
In fit-PC2 the only mechanical element is the hard disk. You may set it to standby on inactivity (saving power as well) and worry no more about life expectancy.

Steffel

Post by Steffel »

Wake-On-Time seems not supported at the moment. But you can use the Win XP Task planner to wake the fit-PC2 from StandBy. This works with BIOS version from 2009-08-31.
But its a little strange - the desired task is not started, instead the fit-PC2 seems to perform a normal boot from scratch. However, the effect is the same as a wake-on-time (even better since with wake on time you normally cant plan multiple boots a day).
Just add your app to the autostart, plan a dummy-task with the desired wake-up-time(s) and make your app put the fit-pc2 back to StandBy when it's done. See http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=601 for operation without monitor attached.

dieseljwt

Post by dieseljwt »

Looking at the detailed changelists for the BIOS, wake-from-standby is supposedly fixed in the July 21 BIOS, not the August 31 version.

The reason I'm being picky about this is that I have July 21 BIOS and my Task Scheduler (Windows 7) can't wake up my Fit-PC2 from hibernate. I haven't figured out how to flash new BIOS yet (I found the instructions, but the recommended app crashes on Win7).

Jim

gilles76

Post by gilles76 »

Up since I met the same problem.

So, if you're still searching after a solution:

1/ run the cmd.exe as Administrator
2/ type "powercfg -h off" to disable hibernation
3/ Through the power control panel for the power profile you chose, you have to enable the "wakeup timers" that will allow a scheduled task to wakeup the computer
4/ (Optional) Disable password when waking up if needed
5/ Create a "wake up" scheduled task by:
- choosing the time you want
- choosing "wake up computer to perform the task" (I'm not sure if this is the correct sentence;-)
- pickup whatever action you want
6/ Create a "sleep" scheduled task by:
- choosing the time you want
- running the script "rundll32 powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState" (it should hibernate but since it is deactivated it will sleep)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

oss117

Post by oss117 »

Hello,

I was asking the same question. I'd like to tell my computer to boot at a given date. For example, I'd like to say :

"Boot at 5am every day".

Please note that the computer will run on a big battery (several car's batteries), in a remote area. Energy is very precious.

Right, in 2012, does the BIOS support this feature?

Does the Fit-PC3 support this feature?

Note : I run Debian.

Thanks,

Denis

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

There is no such a BIOS feature. You can use a Windows task scheduler, but in that case, the computer will be in a Sleep mode, and not powered off
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “fit-PC2 BIOS”