Wireless card

konkhra

Wireless card

Post by konkhra »

Wireless card will be capable of AP under *NIX based systems?

konkhra

Re: Wireless card

Post by konkhra »

I am curious if wireless card can be setup as access point? Would be great if Intense pc could act as a router also.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

The *nix wireless card driver supports managed and ad-hoc modes. You can use the ad-hoc mode to set the Intense PC as an AP
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Nadrek

Post by Nadrek »

Add one for someone who is otherwise going to have to replace any Wifi card with one that supports 802.11a/b/g(/n) in host mode on FreeBSD (pfSense firewall), as well as works on Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) and Windows. Common ones are regrettably rare - so far I've been looking at two Atheros AR9280 based cards:

full length "high power" Ubiquiti SR-71e (http://www.wlanparts.com/product/SR71-E ... 400mW.html)

half length Atheros based card with FreeBSD 8.1 drivers (something like the Sparklan WPEA-111N (http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?fun ... rod_id=157)

These little PC's with either the GbE FACE module or the two Mini-PCIe FACE module and some wifi cards are ideal for replacing small office firewalls, routers, wifi access points, and VPN concentrators, many of which are FreeBSD based (m0n0wall, pfSense).

baeschtu

Post by baeschtu »

Hi @all
I'm planning to replace the stock miniPCI-E Wifi module with which the IntensePC miniPCI-E (half-size) slot is populated. My favorite replacement is the Sparklan WPEA-111N (AR9280) because the *nix drivers (ath9k) should support the Master mode required for build an access point.

Does someone already use this module successfully as AP under *nix or BSD-based Distros?

Return to “WLAN and miniPCI-e”