Out of the box boot failure

xcal

Out of the box boot failure

Post by xcal »

Just purchased a fit-PC3 Pro Linux mintBox. Unpacked it, followed all instructions, no boot. First problem I noticed was the LM light on the front went on immediately upon plugging the power cord in.

Beyond that, after turning it off and connecting monitor, mouse, keyboard, cat5, speakers, then hitting power button, got Phoenix/securecoretiano version 2.1 screen, then GNU Grub version 1.99-21Ubuntu3 screen with choices of:

Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-25-generic (/dev/sda1)
Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.2.0-25-generic (/dev/sda1) -- recovery mode
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)

Allowed first option to go without scrolling through choices, lots of information flashed by, then black screen and nothing.

Turned it off after 10 minutes, turned back on, tried recovery mode. No joy no matter which option I tried.

Have I bought a $550.00 paper weight?

Best regards to all.

xcal

Re: Out of the box boot failure

Post by xcal »

Some further information; the mintBox now goes no further than the boot selection screen. Black screen after selecting LM generic. I re started and hit F2 just to peruse the Setup, but made no changes anywhere there. Do the following Boot Settings seem correct?

Enabled are: VESA Mode, UEFI Boot, Legacy Boot, BIOS Level USB and USB Legacy Support.
Boot Priority is set to Legacy First
Disabled are: Quick Boot, Diagnostic Splash Screen and Diagnostic Summary Screen

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have...

Best regards,
xcal

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Dear xcal

Thank you for choosing MintBox, and please accept my apologizes for any inconvenience. I will ask you to provide me some additional info and to perform some steps to identify the source of your issue and resolve it.

What type of a video connection do you use? Is it native HDMI/DP or there is a VGA converter to fit an analog monitor?
Can you try please to boot a Live version of Linux Mint?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

xcal

Post by xcal »

Dear Mr. Heifets,

Thank your for your reply. I'm really psyched about this MintBox and can't wait to get it going.

By the way, my name is Bert Olton. Please just call me Bert.

Re: my video connection. I'm using the fit-VGA Adapter to connect my Dell monitor to the MintBox.

Re: booting into a live version of Linux Mint. I've got a LM13 iso on a CD, but I do not have an external DVD/CD drive. Which drive would be recommended for use with the MintBox? I'll get one right away.

Again, my thanks for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Bert

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Dear Bert

There is no need to have an external DVD to run a live version of Linux Mint. Use the YUMI tool to prepare a bootable USB flash drive with a Linux Mint installation on a Windows machine, or follow this guide http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/cre ... -on-ubuntu to prepare such disk on an Ubuntu workstation.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”