Turn off Wireless LAN Adaptor to save power?

eapperley

Turn off Wireless LAN Adaptor to save power?

Post by eapperley »

We're using the low-power processor version of the Fit3PC with Linux Mint 13 for a small business server. The business is operating in an off-grid eco environment with daytime solar power and nighttime battery reserve with inverters.

We have everything working but since the Wireless LAN (WiFi) connectivity isn't required would like to turn off the Wireless adapter automatically at boot time to reduce power consumption even further.

Can you advise:

- what is the power saving achievable by turning off the Wireless Adapter hardware?

- what configuration changes do we make to turn off the adapter hardware (under Linux Mint 13 )?

eapperley

Re: Turn off Wireless LAN Adaptor to save power?

Post by eapperley »

I have an answer for one of the questions that I raised - yet to be confirmed but certainly the wireless network doesn't auto connect to a network at boot time.

Reduce Power Consumption by Disabling WiFi Transmitter

Add a line to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file as follows:

blacklist rtl8192ce

This stops the driver loading which presumably doesn't allow the WiFi adapter's transmitter to be powered on.

Can someone please confirm that preventing loading of the Realtek wireless device driver module in Linux does in fact prevent its transmitter from ever turning ON?

I'd still be interested to know what the potential power saving should be. At present I don't have the equipment to measure it.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Turn off Wireless LAN Adaptor to save power?

Post by gabrielh »

Can someone please confirm that preventing loading of the Realtek wireless device driver module in Linux does in fact prevent its transmitter from ever turning ON?
Yes, it will keep the transmitter off, and will save power.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC3”