IPC2 not working anymore

kandi

IPC2 not working anymore

Post by kandi »

Hi,

I was working with my new IPC2 for two days and my screen was starting flickering. After some tests with drivers I thougt I should try a new BIOS. OK, I have Windows8.1 installed and I was not able to boot into the BIOS because Windows 8.1 does not completely shuts down. I thougt I should remove the Harddisk so that the PC has to boot from beginning but my screen remains blank. I tried HDMI instead of DP but same result. So I reset the BIOS with the RTC RST switch - same result. Next I removed the RAMs and re-inserted them - still no splash screen. Then removed the RAMs again and saw the ME RST button below the RAMs so I thougt lets push it. Reinserted RAMs again, RTC RST, plug in everything and now my current situation: It swiches on, I-O light is green, HDD light flashes one time, IPC2 Logo is green for 3 seconds and then it switches off. After a second it swiches atomatically on again and after IPC2 logo was on again for 3 secons it switches off - Loop starts...

Is there a way to fix it, or do I have to send it back?

Probably I distroyed it by pushing the ME RST button? The memory was working before and btw. Later by switching back to my old pc the monitor was still flickering... so it was not the new IPC2 that caused the flickering problem it was my monitor... But I want my IPC2 working again...

My RAMs are 2x SAMSUNG 8GB 204 pin DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3L-12800S, CL11, 1.35V Low Power für Apple und Notebook) - Apple ID 0x80CE

Please help!!!
Thanks.

Edit: If I completely remove the RAMs and reset the BIOS and switch it on without RAM the I-O button remains green without loop. So the RAMs are part of the problem. Does anyone know what the ME RST button below the RAM does??

Edit2: Does one of you know if it is possible to enter the bios without RAM installed? I never get a splash screen or some text even if the pc is on.

hwmartin

Re: IPC2 not working anymore

Post by hwmartin »

Does one of you know if it is possible to enter the bios without RAM installed? I never get a splash screen or some text even if the pc is on.
No. You need at least one DIMM installed to use any functions of the computer, including the BIOS. This is the case for all computers that have user replaceable memory.
My RAMs are 2x SAMSUNG 8GB 204 pin DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3L-12800S, CL11, 1.35V Low Power für Apple und Notebook) - Apple ID 0x80CE
I strongly recommend you use approved memory or the original memory if you are updating the BIOS.

If you would like to continue using your Samsung memory I would recommend running memtest for a day to two to verify that the memory is compatible.
Then removed the RAMs again and saw the ME RST button below the RAMs so I thougt lets push it.
ME is the Intel Management Engine which is used for Lights-out Management. This did not reset the BIOS.

I would recommend reading CompuLab's troubleshooting instructions for how to reset the BIOS. Note that you must hold down SW3 for at least 3 seconds.

kandi

Post by kandi »

Dear hwmartin,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Yesterday I bought a new RAM module to check if it solves the problem:

4GB Kingston HyperX Impact HX316LS9IB/4 - 1600MHZ DDR3L CL9 SODIMM

But unfortunately the problem still exists (Loop after switch on). Even with ME_RST and RTC_RST. :cry:

are there other or additional switches to reset everything or maybe flash some config from usb because without RAM installed, there is no loop! I just get no splash screen so maybe it's a graphic issue?

Thanks.

hwmartin

Post by hwmartin »

The computer will never boot without memory installed. It is not a graphics problem, the computer needs at least one DIMM installed to function. Powering it on without any memory installed will not work, ever. Always have at least one memory module (DIMM) installed.

From the CompuLab troubleshooting instructions:
2. Verify RAM memory modules are installed -
The system will not boot without memory.
The only valid scenario I can think of for testing a system with no memory present is if the system is not powering on at all. In that case it may be valid to remove the memory temporarily to determine if the system can power up without memory installed (e.g., checking if a physical fault in the memory module or memory slot is preventing the system from powering on).

Since your system has power, this is not applicable. Please ensure that at least one memory module is always installed.

Here is a list of memory modules certified to work in the IPC2, courtesy of mbirger:
Memory, DDR3, Low Voltage, SODIMM-204, 2GB, PC3-12800, 1,333/1,600Mhz
Apacer 78.A2GCL.AF00C
Apacer 78.A2GCR.AT00C
Hynix HMT325S6EFR8A-PBN0
Kingston KVR16LS11S6/2
MICRON MT4KTF25664HZ-1G6E1
MICRON MT8KTF25664HZ-1G4M1
SAMSUNG M471B5773DH0-YK0

Memory, DDR3, Low Voltage, SODIMM-204, 4GB, PC3-12800, 1,333/1,600Mhz
ADATA ADDS1600W4G11(-B)
Apacer 78.B2GCR.AT10C
Hynix HMT451S6AFR8A-PBN0
Kingston KVR16LS11/4
MICRON MT8KTF51264HZ-1G6E1
SAMSUNG M471B5273DH0-YK0

Memory, DDR3, Low Voltage, SODIMM-204, 8GB, PC3-12800, 1,333/1,600Mhz:
ADATA ADDS1600W8G11(-B)
Apacer 78.C2GCZ.AT30C
Hynix HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB
MICRON MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6E1
SAMSUNG M471B1G73QH0-YK0
Again, I would recommend that you install the memory that shipped with the IPC2 and try the instructions on CompuLab's IPC2 troubleshooting page.

If you cannot get the IPC2 to boot with the original memory and after following the troubleshooting instructions I would recommend emailing fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il regarding your problem and the steps you have taken (or link to this thread). If after talking to their support you still cannot get your IPC2 to boot I would recommend applying for an RMA.

If you have purchased the IPC2 through Amazon.com and it has been less than 90 days you can apply for an RMA through Amazon. In both cases (RMA through Amazon or CompuLab) you will be responsible for paying return shipping. If you have the option of applying for an RMA through Amazon I would recommend that as CompuLab's stated turn-around time for an RMA is quite slow compared to Amazon's typical turn around time.

What happens if you insert the original memory and reassemble the IPC2 with your hard drive installed?

kandi

Post by kandi »

Dear hwmartin,
thanks again. Here my answers:
Again, I would recommend that you install the memory that shipped with the IPC2 and try the instructions on CompuLab's IPC2 troubleshooting page.
I bought the IPC2 without memory and HD. I have tried all troubleshooting steps on the troubleshooting page without success. The IPC2 was already working with the samsung memory without problems. Also the other memory from Kingston (single module) didn't solve the problem. Same reslut -> Loop.

Power up works:
With memory -> Loop -> Nothing on screen
Without memory -> IPC2 on. I/O light green. -> Nothing on screen

HD/USB drive, mouse, keyboard installed or not -> no difference -> same problem

I have a new screen -> DP or HDMI -> no difference -> same problem. Screen works with other PC.
I would recommend emailing fitpcsupport@compulab.co.il regarding your problem
Yes, this is the last thing I'll do before applying for an RMA.

Thanks!

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

For Win8.x and Linux running machines BIOS update should be done differently. The instruction will be published later – not ready yet.

To solve the issue, just insert the hard disk back and don’t update the BIOS yet.

kandi

Post by kandi »

Unfortunately there is still a loop with harddisk in.

I think the BIOS is still in the configuration state of windows fast boot. All I want is to reset the board to factory defaults. But the RTC_RST does not change these settings. I read about similar problems on other hardware. A solution might be to remove the BIOS battery but this is not possible on the IPC2 board. Is there a kind of jumper apart from RTC_RST button to reset the board to factory defaults?

Thanks!

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Similar to BIOS reset instructions try to reset the Management Engine.
Please disconnect the RAM memory. Under the memory you'll find another low profile push button - Management Engine Reset.

1. Press ME_RST for 3 sec
2. Press RTC_RST for 3 sec

This is the complete reset of the system and I believe it should work.

kandi

Post by kandi »

1. Press ME_RST for 3 sec
2. Press RTC_RST for 3 sec
Done. But problem still exists. :?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Please start RMA process:
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/support/rma/

Return to “IPC2 faults and troubleshooting”