USB2 port becomes useless when I use the USB3 port.

markniski

USB2 port becomes useless when I use the USB3 port.

Post by markniski »

I use a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse which contain two separate USB dongles that I've connected to the USB 2 ports. Everything runs fine. As soon as I plug a USB 3 flash drive (Kingston DTR3.0 G2 64GB) into the USB3 port, it renders my wireless mouse unusable unless I move the mouse inches away from the Mintbox. As soon as I disconnect the USB Flash drive, my mouse works fine. It seems like the power in the USB 2 is dramatically reduced to send a strong enough signal to my mouse. That doesn't seem right. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue. I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 on the Mintbox Mini Pro. I've explained a very common scenario and I'd be totally disappointed if the MintBox Mini Pro can't perform this very simple task.
I know there is nothing wrong with my mouse, keyboard and USB flash drive because they all work fine on the Raspberry Pi 2.

Arwen

Re: USB2 port becomes useless when I use the USB3 port.

Post by Arwen »

markniski wrote:..
As soon as I disconnect the USB Flash drive, my mouse works fine. It seems like the power in the USB 2 is dramatically reduced to send a strong enough signal to my mouse.
One thing I did with my fitlet-H, (the larger chassis version of the fitlet-iA10), is to buy a
6" USB 3 extension cable. Perhaps something like that can help by using it with either
the flash drive, or the mouse dongle.

Note that I bought mine for ease of putting on and removing USB peripherals. It's a bit
cramped and I find it simpler with the extension cable.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

markniski

Post by markniski »

Arwen wrote:
"One thing I did with my fitlet-H, (the larger chassis version of the fitlet-iA10), is to buy a
6" USB 3 extension cable. Perhaps something like that can help by using it with either
the flash drive, or the mouse dongle."
Hi Arwen,
I took your advice and the problem disappeared and the unit is functioning beautifully. Thanks a million for this! You really made my day. Your advice was much better than the folks at Fit-PC, they pretty much said I'm on my own. I can only put it down to some kind of interference occurring when the receiver is too close to the unit. I used a 1.5 metre extension cable only because I had one lying around. I had a working range of about 2 metres even when the dongle was out of the line of sight behind another PC.
Well done and cheers.
Mark

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Glad I could help, and that the solution works well.

To be fair to the Complulab / fit-PC support people, modern computers have so
many potential external peripherals that they can't cover them all. For example,
my USB keyboard with builtin hub does not work at the BIOS screen when
connected to my Asus laptop. But if I feed the keyboard into a USB switching
hub, it works.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

bradjj

Post by bradjj »

A little late here but I have had same issue on my desktop PC's when using USB flash drive and Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo (one USB dongle) and also came to same fix as mentioned above, so it is not just a Fitlet problem. Just wanted to share that. ;)

Return to “fitlet hardware”