Another hardware Q: Fitlet2 OR Jetway JBC313U591W

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

Jasonpaul

Another hardware Q: Fitlet2 OR Jetway JBC313U591W

Post by Jasonpaul »

I'm replacing my failing Zotac (Realtek NICs, learned that lesson) that ran Sophos UTM and need some advice. I want to give pfsense a go this time around, have been researching for awhile, and am now close to clicking the buy button on either of these as a replacement:
Cost and almost everything else is about the same... The main difference being the CPUs, which seem pretty much on par, the J3455 slightly more powerful, but for a residential 300Mbps fiber line, maybe 1Gb in the near future, that probably won't make a different.

Would appreciate thoughts, and if there is a compelling reason anyone sees an advantage of one vs the other.

Thanks!

tamir
Site Admin

Re: Another hardware Q: Fitlet2 OR Jetway JBC313U591W

Post by tamir »

I had found useful information for customers already using the pfSense on the fitlet2 simply by searching google for the keywords fitlet2 + pfsense.
You could also find information at this forum if you search the same.
Good luck.

2gnu

Post by 2gnu »

No experience with Jetway hardware or support but I can tell you that OPNsense is running beautifully on my Fitlet2 J3455 and the support team has been superb.

roger

Post by roger »

I have a fitlet2 J3455 here running the latest pfSense perfectly. Running Snort on the LAN, zero issues. I put in 4 gigs of RAM, and have more than enough memory. The fitlet2 runs between 35-40 degrees C (depending on room temperature and load) - barely warm to the touch. 5-6 watts idling (according to my Kill-a-watt meter). Highly recommended.

Do follow the advice in CompuLab's FAQ about BIOS settings to get FreeBSD to boot:

Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SD Card Support [Disabled]
Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC eMMC Support [Disabled]
Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SDIO Support [Disabled]

My installation USB drive wouldn't boot till I made these changes - then it booted perfectly.

Also, take care mounting the M2 SATA drive to the cooling plate. The notches in the drive connector fit into the socket on the motherboard in only one orientation. You mount the drive to the plate and then flip it over to install it in the chassis - mount the drive so that when it's flipped, the notches fit properly in the socket.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

roger wrote:I have a fitlet2 J3455 here running the latest pfSense perfectly. Running Snort on the LAN, zero issues. I put in 4 gigs of RAM, and have more than enough memory. The fitlet2 runs between 35-40 degrees C (depending on room temperature and load) - barely warm to the touch. 5-6 watts idling (according to my Kill-a-watt meter). Highly recommended.

Do follow the advice in CompuLab's FAQ about BIOS settings to get FreeBSD to boot:

Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SD Card Support [Disabled]
Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC eMMC Support [Disabled]
Chipset -> South Cluster Configuration -> SCC Configuration -> SCC SDIO Support [Disabled]

My installation USB drive wouldn't boot till I made these changes - then it booted perfectly.

Also, take care mounting the M2 SATA drive to the cooling plate. The notches in the drive connector fit into the socket on the motherboard in only one orientation. You mount the drive to the plate and then flip it over to install it in the chassis - mount the drive so that when it's flipped, the notches fit properly in the socket.
Thank you Roger, I'll also add that you can find various mechanical installation instructions at:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php?title= ... bly_guides

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”