Any new information on AMD graphics option?

tanriol

Any new information on AMD graphics option?

Post by tanriol »

In a review of Airtop3 published on Phoronix on July 17 Michael Larabel, the reviewer, mentioned that there's a version with AMD graphics under consideration.
CompuLab remains a Linux-focused PC vendor and in fact Linux Mint's upcoming MintBox 3 computer is based on the Airtop 3. The MintBox 3 will soon be launching with different options for a high-end, passively cooled Linux Mint desktop -- they are also working on an option with open-source Radeon graphics.
And later in comments to it
They are expected to include an AMD GPU option for the Mintbox 3 at least. They asked me if they should and I certainly endorsed it, a Polaris card they were looking at.
Is this option still being considered and, if so, is there any approximate timeframe for it?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm planning to get a PC for always-on operation and daily use, including light/medium gaming, but I'd really prefer to avoid Nvidia's closed-source drivers in my kernelspace. Nouveau (open-source driver) would be fine, but it cannot operate with the same performance due to Nvidia not providing signed firmware that would support reclocking the GPU to its normal speeds. The Intel integrated GPU, on the other hand, is a bit too slow and, even if fast enough, it's using the same cooling zone as the CPU itself, which is probably not a good idea compared to a discrete GPU in its separate cooling zone.

irads

Re: Any new information on AMD graphics option?

Post by irads »

We are waiting for availability of Radeon RX 5500. If it is found compatible we intend to offer it with Airtop3.

Thank you for your patience.

tanriol

Post by tanriol »

Any updates? Is this option still being considered or already rejected due to some reasons?

irads

Post by irads »

RX5500 is still considered, but there is no availability date yet or availability certainty. We still have significant testing and design to do for that.

uptrend

Post by uptrend »

Will it work with the NVIDIA Titan RTX Graphics Card?

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Titan-RTX ... NZ1GTWJHHY

irads

Post by irads »

Unfortunately not. Titan RTX is rated for 280W which is far above what Airtop3 can dissipate from the graphics card.

Return to “Airtop3 Hardware”