USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
yogev_ezra

Re: USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

Post by yogev_ezra »

BIOS is accessed by pressing F2 when the BIOS initialization screen appears, but I doubt you need the BIOS in your case. Try to press F8 just after the BIOS screen goes off to access Windows XP boot selection menu, and from there, select either VGA mode if you have it, or Safe Mode. I hope that would bring the display on in VGA mode, and then you would be able to re-enable the monitor.

irads

Post by irads »

BIOS does not have effect on display selection. BIOS settings should be available on boot (pressing F2) regardless of settings.

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Thanks for the info. I tried both VGA mode and Safe Mode. VGA Mode made no difference. I just see a windows XP logo screen, and then no display after that on either the main screen or the USB secondary screen.

I tried Safe mode and I only get a screen listing a lot of system drivers but nothing after that.

What are my options? I don't want to have to reinstall windows XP if at all possible. And all the necessary drivers. Is that my last option?

Thanks again for your help.

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Is there a way I can restore back to the original settings when I bought my FitPC2? Like a utility I could run using a command prompt? Right now I am DOA without any monitor visable.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Hi Tom,

You have most likely set the resolution for the PC to 800x480 for the USB monitor and then inadvertantly disabled the monitor.

Is your monitor quite large - ie 17" or over? If so it is likely that the monitor will not be able to cope with such a low resolution so will not recognise the signal (it will recognise the boot menu as that uses a more standard resolution that all monitors support).

What you need to do is connect the Fit-PC2 to a smaller monitor (15" or lower) with DVI input which will recognise the 800x480 signal coming in. Once you've done that you can set the resolution back up to the level that your larger monitor will recognise adn bob's your uncle.

I've been using USB monitors and VGA converters here for a few months and have had the same issue on a number of occasions for which the above was the only way to get the video output back to usable settings. It is a flaw in the current design of USB monitors, pretty similar to locking your keys in the car, but hopefully the designers will get wise to the problem.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin
Fit-PC UK

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Thanks Benjamin. I will give that a try. The problem is most small monitors are all VGA only. I will have to see if I can find something. Or get a VGA converter for the main screen.

It appears the Samsung U70 is designed as a secondary monitor. I was able to get the DisplayLink drivers to work with it as the sole monitor for a while, in the correct resolution. But you are right, I did click to disable the main monitor and that's how I got in this mess. Hopefully I can get it working again without having to reload XP.

Not sure why I can't see Windows at least on the secondary monitor. But I will tinker around with it. I intended to use the FITPC2 as a portable using only the 7" monitor. Perhaps a change of plans is in order.

Again, Thanks.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Now that I have my fit-PC2 setup and running I can answer at all this...

I'm using the same USB monitor Samsung U70 (I used it with the Slim also).
All you have to do to make it as the only monitor is, go to the Display Properties -> Settings
1. first choose the U70 and extend the desktop on it from the checkbox, Press Apply,

2. then choose your other monitor and uncheck the "Use as primary display" checkbox,

3. choose the U70 and check the "Use as primary display" 800x480 resolution and press OK.

U70 should now have both checkboxes checked (and it's image above nice and clear) and the other monitor should have them both unchecked (and it's image above grayed out).
It should work...
Unplugging the U70 from the 2 USB and restarting should restore image to the other monitor if connected, if not, press F8 before Windows loads and go into "Safe Mode", there choose the other monitor as the primary one...
I hope this helps
Also download the latest drivers fr the U70 or from the DisplayLink site, I've downloaded the latest from here:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/downl ... u=download
If you need anything else answer here and I'll take a look...

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I'm glad to hear someone has been successful in getting the U70 to work as the only monitor for the Fit-PC2. My problem is, I had it working and then I read somewhere that you should disable the primary monitor. Bad idea. Now when I boot up, I see the XP boot screen on the primary DVI screen and then nothing once XP launches. And on the U70 I see nothing. I have tried "VGA Mode" and "Safe Mode" and still I get no signal to either monitor once XP launches. So I am dead in the water. Shouldn't have set the primary display to "Disable". Live and learn I guess. So I am trying to figure out how to undo that mistake. I have concluded that my only option at this point is to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall Windows XP from the disk provided with the FIT-PC2.

I have tried to install XP using a USB cd-rom. When I boot up with the XP cd inserted, It didn't recognize it and went straight to launching XP off the hard drive. I checked the boot sequence in the BIOS and both the CD-rom and USB flash drive are at the top of the list. I even removed the HDD altogether from the list, and it gave me a message saying "No operating system installed". So it isn't recognizing the provided XP CD. Is it not bootable?

So finally I decided to go through the many instructions on the web for creating an XP bootable installation USB flash drive. That's where I am at now. I have checked out several links for creating the flash drive, and there are many contradictions. Some say you can't use a flash drive larger that 2GB. Some say format it as "FAT", others say it should be "NTFS". Here is the link I am using currently:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 28902.html

And I found this one on this site:

http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=334

So, if I can get some display going again, I will try out your suggestions. I appreciate it. Looks you have had some good experience using just the same configuration as I have. Thanks.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I'm not sure the usb process will be any good, at least with fit-PC Slim it didn't work and gave a blue screen of death, maybe try it and let us know how it goes for fit-PC2, I would try something from here, search it a bit and you'll see what I mean: http://www.911cd.net/forums/
(There is a USB Multiboot program which will help allot)
credit goes to them!

Did you try unplugging the monitors?leaving only the DVI one or only the U70?Try a few reboots not just once with the above and it'll probably work, the first thing I installed was netOP so I can remote control in any case but never needed to, I only do it for other reasons.Maybe keep that in mind next time around, (some free VNC, Tight VNC could do)...
There is probably a way to log in, since you hear the Windows logging in it can be fixed, let me search for a while and don't format your disk just yet...

EDIT:

I have made something for you, look below

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

Download these 2 files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/292526383/800x600res1.exe
http://rapidshare.com/files/292526549/800x600res2.exe

I made these two small programs, if you have a LAN you can put them in a shared folder, turn on fit-PC2 and wait until Windows starts (a bit after you hear the sound) then press Win+R (Start->Run) type cmd+enter and the path in which you've put these files, try number 1, if nothing happens try running number 2. All it does is open the Display Properties, go to Settings, and move the Resolution indicator (number1 moves it left and number 2 right) until it goes to 800x600, then it set's that resolution, maybe it'll work for you, you have nothing to lose...I'll surely find a way to change the primary display (also setting the resolution) thus fixing the problem, but not before tomorrow.I'll have more time tonight, If you see this send me a PM and we can try further

Return to “Display interface”