auto-on Mod

tommyk

Auto-On Mod

Post by tommyk »

Hello,

i really need instant on / Powerloss Restart. Unfortunately I didn't knew that there was no bios option for it.
Could one of the Hardware-Engineers be so kind to post a List of the necessary Components and a Picture where to solder them for a Modification of the OFF Fit-PC2?
I'm aware that I'll loose my Guarantee and you don't want to support it, but
I think it would help many Users. Look at the still good Price of NSLU2 - it's just as good because there are so many HowTo's.

Tom

irads

Re: Auto-On Mod

Post by irads »

We do not support this MOD. It is more difficult than it sounds.

tommyk

Post by tommyk »

How about using a capacitor of 100uF/25V at the Powerbutton?
Would it work?

halestorm

Post by halestorm »

irads wrote:We do not support this MOD. It is more difficult than it sounds.
I'm sure it is complicated, but would you please tell us anyway?

Thanks,
Dave
http://evalbum.com/2500
almost no reason to burn gasoline anymore

irads

Re: auto-on Mod

Post by irads »

Please do not use the forum for motherboard modding discussions. This is not an intended use of the product.

Thanks,

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

This is a crucial feature for some users. It would be nice if this option or it lack was included in the specs somewhere on Amazon (which I assume is where a lot of people will buy it) so users who need auto-on have the chance to purchase computer that works for them. The system we are desgining pretty much won't work without an auto-on feature, which makes the $400 computer I just bought not very useful to me.

irads

Post by irads »

Space on Amazon is too limited to explain what is auto-on and how it behaves. The auto-on feature is documented and discussed dozens of time on the website, wiki and forum.

Regardless, if you bought a system that is not useful, you can return it.

halestorm

Post by halestorm »

irads wrote:Space on Amazon is too limited to explain what is auto-on and how it behaves..
I think what TimeScience meant is not a description of what auto-on is or how it behaves on the reseller site, but simply a boolean field: does this model I am buying have auto-on or not.

In any case, TimeScience -- on amazon at least you can click on "See more technical details". Now, unlike most computers on amazon here you don't actually get any more details except for the model number. Use the model number and the special decoder table I found here: http://www.compulab.co.il/fitpc2/html/fitpc2-price.htm and the information here where it says to look for "on" in the part number: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/on-option/

Too bad it's such a secret, but hopefully someone who bought an instant-on version can take some hi-res digital photos of the front & back of the board.
Dave
http://evalbum.com/2500
almost no reason to burn gasoline anymore

tommyk

Post by tommyk »

Hi again,

I managed to add the auto-on feature with a 12V time-relais.
The relais itself just needs 100mA, so i soldered it to the input socket of my fit-pc.
The relais is also triggered by the 12V-input, waits 10 seconds and shortcircuits the Power-button for 0.2 seconds.
You can solder to the top of the Power-button Pins.
Unfortunately the relais is far too big to place it inside.
The four cables (I took 0.14mm²) can be lead out of the case beneath the network socket without problems, and a hard-drive still fits.

Just got a link to the german vendor:
http://www.h-tronicshop.de/artikel.aspx?art=204188

Maybe you'll find something smaller / cheaper.

Warning: For this mod you need to open the case and use the soldering iron, so your guarantee will be lost.

TimeScience

Post by TimeScience »

Just to clarify my previous post...

I did a lot of research before buying a fitpc and I did forgot to explicitly check for this feature, but every desktop computer I've ever bought had it as a bios option so it wasn't something I thought might be optional.

Since Auto-on is a somewhat standard feature of most desktop computers, and the presence or absence of this (judging from the numerous forum posts) is of importance to some of your users, it would be nice if this feature (or lack of it) was explicitly noted in the amazon specs under the extended technical specs to help us make good buying decisions.

On that note, how DO we purchase one with the auto-on feature? Is the only option to buy it via your website with the 5-week lead time?

Is there one with auto-on that still has 6 USB ports rather than the dual LAN version?

Thanks!

Return to “Auto-ON”