Ubuntu 9.10 supported

stapo101

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 supported

Post by stapo101 »

I am experiencing fairly regular system hangs/freezes running Mythbuntu 9.10 (using the additional installation instructions from this thread).

I have set my power management settings so that the pc does not go into any powersave type mode when it is idle.

If I come back to the mcahine a couple of hours later either it has completely frozen (with the desktop clock reflecting the time that it froze) or I can move the mouse around the screen but not click on anything. In both cases a hard reboot is required. I performed an update yesterday and that didn't fix it - in fact it stopped ALSA working!

It's hard to tell whether this is a general 9.10 issue rather than a fit-pc issue as googling on "9.10 system freeze" brings up many results.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Denis

Post by Denis »

Regarding power modes:
Known issues:
- Suspend and Hibernate functions do not work properly and disabled in kernel. Using these functions is equal to Lock Screen.
Compulab's Linux support

stapo101

Post by stapo101 »

Thanks Denis.

But how do I resolve this?

I have set the power management settings so that the PC should be "always on". How is it then going into suspend or hibernate?

encompass

Post by encompass »

It seems to run just fine to me video is the same to me as compaired to 8.04 (REALLY slow until the new driver is installed), but I don't use video on these units. I am very happy about this as I needed a lot of the tools found only in the latest ubuntu. Thank you guys. Let's hope we can do more business together!

Denis

Post by Denis »

How is it then going into suspend or hibernate?
With current kernel system can not be suspended or hibernated. We know about this bug and hope it will be fixed in near future.
Compulab's Linux support

mf21

Post by mf21 »

Hi stapo101,

Apart from the system hangs and freezes, what are your further experiences with running mythbuntu on your fit PC box?:
- any experience with the performance when watching and recording live analogue TV?
- what fit PC box are your using? (fit PC/fit PC2 - 1/1.6GHz processor)
- which TV tuner do you use?

Just curious as I consider buying the fit PC2 for the same reason (e.g. using the fit PC as a HTPC)

kind regards,
mf21

gman

Post by gman »

My installation of mythbuntu 9.10.

- No audio, error message posted here http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1185
-Tv tuner I use a dual tuner WinTV-NOVA-TD and you can read more here http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1157

and what i can understand there are not much hope to get mythbuntu and xbmc out of the box to work.This when they dont support va-api.

stapo101

Post by stapo101 »

Apart from the system hangs and freezes, what are your further experiences with running mythbuntu on your fit PC box?:
- any experience with the performance when watching and recording live analogue TV?
I don't actually use it for live TV. I am running Mythbuntu 9.10 and using it for watching video files (standard and hi-def) and using MythTV to launch Boxee for streaming web content.
- what fit PC box are your using? (fit PC/fit PC2 - 1/1.6GHz processor)
I am using Fit PC2 with the 1.6GHZ CPU
- which TV tuner do you use?
Sorry, no TV Tuner so can't comment on that

System Freezes: So in terms of the system freezes and hangs, I did a fresh install of mythbuntu and tried various fixes to stop the hangs. I took a punt that it was something to do with gnome-screensaver so disabled that and installed xscreensaver instead using advice in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195557. I also followed the advice in this thread to disable hinbernate and suspend:
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showth ... ?t=1305081. I can't tell you for sure whether this is what fixed it but I have had the machine running for several days now with no new system hangs or freezes.

Current set up:
I have a dual boot box at the moment with mythbuntu 9.10 and Windows 7 Ultimate.
I really dislike using windows if I can help it. I find windows plays the hi-def videos very well but the standard def files are not very well defined, they are quite pixelly as if looking at a fine mosaic. I haven't had time to work out what the problem is there. I have tried different codecs but get the same problem.
Also, Boxee does not run at the moment on this set up as the Alpha uses OpenGL. However, the BETA which is due Jan 7th uses DirectX so should in theory work. This will then be a real test as to whether to go with Windows 7 or Mythbuntu.

Mythbuntu: For the Mythbuntu side of things I have made some changes to MythTv so that there is a menu option to launch Boxee and also a menu entry to launch Conkeror. This is a simple keyboard driven browser. This means that I can launch the browser from within MythTv to a home page which is essentially a list of links to my favourite torrent sites. By pressing one key it then shows up all the links on the page which you can then launch by pressing the appropriate number on the keypad. What this all means is that I can control it via a LIRC remote and select torrents etc which save to my home directory.
I then set up Transmission (the bit torrent client) to automatically pick up any torrent files in the home directory and start downloading.

Remote Control: I have gone with using LIRC in conjunction with Irxevent rather than native LIRC with Myth. The reason for this is that I couldn't get LIRC to work with Boxee. You can set up Irxevent so that it replicates keyboard presses and this gives me enough flexibility to control Myth, Boxee, Mplayer, Conkeror etc all with the same remote and ditch the keyboard all together.

I find the video playback in Hi Def and Standard Def to be very good in Mythbuntu once you have set up Mplayer as the external player. The main issue now is on some video files you end up with a thin green horizontal line at the bottom of the video window. I suspect this is to do with the experimental state of the video driver and will probably improve over time.

So, sorry for the long post but I hope it helps some of you.

billyzelsnack

Post by billyzelsnack »

I've tried 3 different usb creators.. unetbootin, LinuxLive, and the pendrivelinux app. Everything works well enough until after I follow the apt-get instructions at the top of this thread. After I reboot it hangs at a black screen. Tapping the power shows that it kicked out to busybox with this.. ( might be some retyping mistakes )

(initramfs) FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31-34-fitpc2/modules/dep: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.31-34-fitpc2/modules.dep: No such file or directory
Unable to find a medium containing a live file system.

This error above is my latest attempt when using the pendrivelinux windows app and a 1GB persistent store.

I've spent two days trying to get this to work. My Linux-Fu is weak and I don't know what to do to get any further. I guess my next wild attempt will be to try and build a custom iso with the drivers already there, though I'm not sure my Linux skills are to that point yet or if that would even solve the problem.

billyzelsnack

Post by billyzelsnack »

I made it a bit further.. I think.

This time I used unetbootin to put the desktop iso onto a 1GB flash drive. I then plugged in both my 1GB and my 8GB flash drives making sure to boot from the 1GB drive. After booting I did a regular install onto the 8GB drive.

After installation I did followed the instructions at the top of this thread. This time it took much longer and appeared to be doing much more work than previous attempts.

Upon reboot my monitor that accepts HDMI gave an "out of range" message. I then tried using the DVI adapter with another monitor, but that just gave another error message about inputs being invalid or something.

Trying to salvage things I ctrl-alt-f1 and then apt-get remove the poulsbo stuff which succeeded, but upon reboot I just end up at a blinking tty login that does not respond very well to keyboard inputs.

Now I'm trying the same reinstall, but this time I will apt-get and the reboot one item at a time.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”