anti virus software eats ram - which one are you using?

plague

anti virus software eats ram - which one are you using?

Post by plague »

hi!
i had windows xp sp3 (latest updates) installed .. i used the gma500 driver and had it running with no monitor attached (just using remote desktop) ...
the virus scanner was avast 4.8 (i've also tried microsofts security essentials with the same result) .. when the machine was running longer than a week i was not able any more to log in .. so i had to press the powerbutton which resulted in a message "there are remote users logged on press ok to shutdown anyway" .. therefore i had to attach a keyboard which sometimes worked and sometimes not (due to no more memory) ...
i've now reinstalled xp using the iegd driver and would like to know which anti virus software those of you are using who let the machine run 24/7 with no memory problems ...

any comments are appreciated!

KR
plague

gashiss

Re: anti virus software eats ram - which one are you using?

Post by gashiss »

use avira, it's light, but it display a pop up screen everyday.

plague

Post by plague »

hi gashiss!
if it would only have email protection ...
anyways .. are you using win xp + avira on a fit-pc2 running 24/7?

thanks in advance for your reply!

KR
plague

ps: it's not that light ...

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I have used Avast! Free edition with the same setup that you mentioned, and the computer ran 24/7 without a problem for more than 3 months (it ran camera software). But I did install IEGD in the end for another reason (wanted higher display resolution when connecting to Fit-PC2 from another computer).

Return to “Windows XP”