Ubuntu (Xubuntu) 9.10 and Ralink3090 Wireless card not worki

fly

Re: Ubuntu (Xubuntu) 9.10 and Ralink3090 Wireless card not worki

Post by fly »

You should start with a fresh install. Removing and readding network manager has odd side effects which make bug tracking complicated.

There should be prepared iso images with working wifi around. You also could just compile the kernel module yourself, which doesn't take long. Drivers are available from the ralink website.
128 bit WEP.
WEP can be broken in a matter of minutes -- depending on the situation even in seconds. You shouldn't use it anymore. It doesn't add security, but complexity. Either use WPA or don't use encryption at all (or provide it via a vpn).

fly

Post by fly »

That one still has the virgin install with the FIT-PC2 kernel, which I'm assuming, has the WiFi drivers?
Sorry, I talked about the Image available at http://fit-pc2.com/download/ubuntu/releases/ but this are the original 8.04 images. However, the instructions at http://www.fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?t ... buntu_9.10 are known to work.
When it comes to compiling kernels, that's when things start to get complicated. There must be another answer?
I suggested you compile the driver as module, not the entire kernel. I did it once on Ubuntu, but when using SLAX i did this automated on every boot up, it is really not a big deal. Here some notes I took in january for SLAX -- things might have changed:

1) Fetch the linux rt3090 driver from http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
2) Decompress it
3) Bring the wireless interface down
4) Unload the rt3090 driver currently in use (rmmod rt3090, rt3090sta, rt2860 and rt2860sta)
5) Edit ./os/linux/config.mk to suit your needs -- especially look at HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT and HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT.
6) make clean; make; sudo make install
7) Edit RT2860STA.dat to suit your needs -- especially have a look at CountryRegion (my value: 1), CountryRegionABand (my value: 1), CountryCode (my value: DE) and WirelessMode (my value: 0).
7) mkdir -p /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/
8) Copy RT2860STA.dat to above location
9) Load the driver via modprobe
10) Setup wireless

**edit**

Uhm, all of thois might not be necessary. Are you able to scan for networks? On what channel operates the accesspoint? Maybe you just need to check step 7 on your system?

Could you provide the relevant part of dmesg output?

Denis

Post by Denis »

Please post results of lsmod.
Compulab's Linux support

fly

Post by fly »

Hi,

I am glad it's now working for you. Regarding your questions:
I had to edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the rt2860sta module.
Yap. I forgot to mention it, sorry.
1. My interface changed from wlan0 to ra0.
This is an expected behavior as you are using the drivers native interface, not the wlan pseudo interface. In most cases this shouldn't make much of a difference.
I ended up setting up the connection in Network-Manager. Now everything seems to be working....
Nice, I remember some issues with network manager and manual configuration in 9.10, so this is likely a known WONTFIX bug in Ubuntu 9.10 -- 10.04 should be okay, though.

Return to “Ubuntu 9.10”