video problems- installing linux

huw

video problems- installing linux

Post by huw »

Hi!

I just got my fit pc2i diskless, installed a SSD, and got the idea to install Mint as well.

I've got the fit pc hooked up to a monitor, using the included dvi cord to a dvi>vga adapter and on to the monitor. Unfortunately, the monitor says "NO SIGNAL". Even after I plug in and turn on the fit pc. As you can imagine, this "NO SIGNAL" deal is rather inconvenient, as it makes installing Mint that much more difficult. The monitor works fine connected to my XP machine, by the way, using the same cord.

Is there a problem with dvi>vga? Or is there some easy solution which I ought to know but somehow don't?

Thanks.

yogev_ezra

Re: video problems- installing linux

Post by yogev_ezra »

If your DVI->VGA adapter costs less than 40$, then it's not going to work.
FitPC2/i do not output analog signal at all, so in order to connect them to VGA monitor, you need to use a DVI->VGA converter (for example, Fit-VGA):
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/accessories/fit-vga/

huw

Post by huw »

ah yes I see. Okay then, thanks, I guess I'll order the appropriate dvi>vga converter. btw, Mint install went fine when hooked up to a flat screen tv via dvi.

Thanks

huw

Post by huw »

Sorry, one more question. I've got the VGA converter now, but I seem to get strange results. Hooking up DVI > TV flat screen, everything is sweet. However, I've got two different VGA monitors. One doesn't seem to recognize the Fit PC at all- it just shows a rainbow pattern, the other will recognize the Fit, but it asks for a password (which the DVI >TV doesn't) and then after which only manages a command line interface, like an IBM PC circa 1988.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't the way things ought to be- is there some sort of driver I should consider? If so, please try and make it simple: I've been a lifelong Windows user heretofore, and while I'm trying hard to adapt, this "linux" thing is proving rather obstreperous. Plus there's the fact that I'm an idiot.

So any help is appreciated.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Can you install Windows temporarily on Fit-PC2, and check whether this converter is working correctly with Windows?

huw

Post by huw »

thanks yogev_ezra.

I don't have a spare copy of windows, but I took the converter to work and plugged it into my computer there, which runs vista.

When I plugged the monitor in, it went black. I restarted the machine, but still got nothing on the monitor until I plugged it back into the vga port.

However, I can't confirm that the dvi port on my work computer works correctly, as it's never been used before.

Thanks.

Return to “Linux Mint”