Linux performance and AMD

vegham

Linux performance and AMD

Post by vegham »

Hello

I'm interesting in upgrading to fit-pc3 (have v2 now) when it's ready.

How are the drivers? I mean, ATi has always been a pain in Linux, will the radeons in fit-pc3 be fully supported in Linux? Are these drivers open source, so that they can be used for all future kernels?

Does the device play 1080p >25fps in Linux?

Usually I don't buy ATi cards for Linux, but after dealing with Intel GMA500 in fit-pc2 and AMD has bought ATi I might take a chance.

Regards
Linux nerd

irads

Re: Linux performance and AMD

Post by irads »

Performance in Windows is currently better than in Linux, yet 1080p playback does work.

As you noted, it is a significant step forward both in raw GPU power and drivers quality compared to GMA500.

vegham

Post by vegham »

Windows is not an option for me. Need something reliable. How much performance difference is there?

Are the Linux drivers for HD 6320 open source or do you have an agreement with ATi to ensure sufficient performance in newer kernels?
Linux nerd

mirumu

Post by mirumu »

I've not tried with a Fit-PC3 yet obviously, but the open source ATI driver for Linux is known to work with the HD 6320. The proprietary ATI driver does too. I tried Ubuntu 11.10 with a HD6310 myself recently which I believe only differs from the HD6320 in clock rate, and it performed very well using both drivers. Desktop performance was actually better than my Linux PC at work with a Phenom and a HD 4890 in it.

I've seen some reports of flickering and choppy frame rates when using the proprietary driver, but in my recent experience with ATI cards on Linux I think that's often due to "tear-free" being enabled in Catalyst Control Center, or incorrect Compiz settings.

vegham

Post by vegham »

That are some promising words, mirumu. Thank you.
Linux nerd

monnier

Post by monnier »

vegham wrote:I mean, ATi has always been a pain in Linux
While ATI used to be a pain under GNU/Linux, this has changed a few years back when AMD decided to open up the documentation of its GPUs and to even let some of its employees contribute to the Free Software drivers, so nowadays ATI support under GNU/Linux is very good.

morety

Post by morety »

Hello all,

I am also looking to buy the new fit-pc3.

May I ask the fit-pc engineers to make a simple test with the vimeo & youtube HD videos (720 /1080) in adobe format running on Mint /Ubuntu with Firefox /Chrome?

:?:
Last edited by morety on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irads

Post by irads »

Flash 11 in Linux is using SW decoding and SW rendering. 720p Flash performance of fit-PC3 LP and basic in Linux is not good, it is better with fit-PC3 Pro.
In Windows full-screen it is HW decoding & rendering - so all models perform 720p Flash well.

morety

Post by morety »

May I kindly ask you to upload a showcase video of the fit-pc3 running Ubuntu/ Mint that clearly shows the maximum performance that you can squizze from it? The showcase might include HD video encoding, web browsing, etc.

I hope that it is not going to have the choppy GUI experience that I currently have with fit-pc2.

irads

Post by irads »

For best user experience I suggest you opt for fit-PC3 Pro. GUI experience is smooth - Compiz effects and all. Check around the web for Linux Mint on AMD Fusion E450.

It will be a few weeks before we upload user experience videos. I hope users or reviewers would do it ahead of us.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC3”