View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Fitlet processor 

Post Fitlet processor
I am looking at a Fitlet as a possible replacement/substitution for an Automation product I currently use a lot - but that is a little flimsy in it's construction and has only a 1yr warranty. Most of the specifications are pretty straightforward, but I am having trouble finding comparative data on the processors - theirs and yours. I was wondering if someone who swims in these circles would have anything to share that might help clear this up.

I have the listed specifications below - I am looking at the processor specifically.
HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS
TI AM3352: 1000MHz ARM® Cortex™-A8
1GB DDR3 SDRAM
Removable micro-SD card with 4GB flash total storage/2GB user storage
*Wi-Fi (Client or WAP) IEEE802.11a/b/g/n IEEE802.11n HT20 @ 2.4GHz IEEE802.11n HT20/HT40 @ 5GHz Configurable radio (Off, WAP, or Client) WPAPSK/WPA2PSK supported
*USB type A connector - Back-up and restore support
(2) isolated RS-485 with selectable bias and termination
(2) 10/100MB Ethernet ports
**Supply requirements: 24VAC rated
at 24VA minimum, or 24VDC rated at
1A (24W) minimum

I see the Fitlet has 3 processor options - I wanted to know generally how they compare.

Atom x7-E3950 [CE3950]
Celeron J3455 [CJ3455]
Atom x5-E3930 [CE3930]

There will be a bit of a performance penalty as I would need to run a full windows install to support the software involved, and the other device does not do that (it runs QNX) - I understand that. I am just trying to get a feel for the one spec I cannot find a quick correlation for out of the list I pasted above.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond. :D

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:49 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Fitlet processor
Performance wise, the Celeron has better performance per Watt.
The CPU comparison is available at:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 6488,95594

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 am

That is a good comparison of 2 chips you all offer - but there is nothing on the other devices chip:

TI AM3352: 1000MHz ARM® Cortex™-A8

I had a VERY hard time finding info on it - I figured you all had heard of it or declined using it or had something on it.

Alll I can find quickly is that it is not an Intel chip (it would be super swell to include it in the side by side comparison you put together - very nice. and that it is 32bit and the 2 you included in your link are both 64bit.

Now that I see the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' button, I will be more prompt in responding. Most forums I visit do not require a checkbox for notifications.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:45 am
Site Admin

TI AM3352: 1000MHz ARM® Cortex™-A8 is used in BeagleBone.
You can find useful comparison information at the following article:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=beaglebone_black_linux&num=3

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Extract from that link:
The BeagleBone Black might be useful for specialized embedded use-cases or penny-pinching Linux hobbyists, but for any real ARM Linux development use or desktop experiments, it's far too slow. I can't find any use-case myself for the BeagleBone Black as it's far too slow for any worthwhile code testing or performance monitoring; this low-end ARM development board might just be best served by making it another creative computer beer bottle opener.

A less than positive review. Thank you for digging that up. It was VERY helpful.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]