The problem with remote desktop access to a headless PC
One of the key requirements in using a PC without a display attached (headless PC) is remote desktop access. The headless PC needs the GPU for rendering the desktop, but since it has no display attached the GPU is turned off, which severely limits the usability of remote desktop access to the headless PC. The problem is known to exist with Apple Mac Mini and Intel HD Graphics computers running Windows and Linux.
What makes fit-Headless 4K an ideal solution for remote desktop access
fit-Headless 4K is a small, low-cost HDMI plug that emulates a high resolution display. Once plugged, the headless PC detects a connected display thus enabling the GPU. Remote desktop access to the headless PC is then available at high resolution – up to 4088×2034 and high frame rate.
fit-Headless 4K is a must-have for server and colocation farms, SOHO and home servers and remotely-deployed headless PCs.
How fit-Headless 4K works?
- Once fit-Headless 4K is plugged into the HDMI port the headless PC detects a connected display device and inquires its display capabilities.
- fit-Headless 4K is powered by the PC HDMI port. No external power is required.
- fit-Headless 4K reports back to the PC a long list of supported resolutions.
- The PC behaves as if it has a connected display – keeping the GPU enabled and allows choosing all resolutions supported by both the GPU and fit-Headless 4K.
- Remote desktop access is possible in high performance with a variety of resolutions.
fit-Headless 4K was designed with remote desktop access in mind. Beyond standard display resolutions fit-Headless 4K supports native resolutions of the most popular client devices.
- fit-Headless 4K supports 30(!) different resolutions from 800×600 up to 4088×2304 in Windows
- The most common high definition and standard definition resolutions
- Native resolutions of MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Ultrabooks and popular laptops
- Native resolutions of the most popular tablets and smartphones including iPad Air, Nexus and Galaxy
fit-Headless 4K features
- Works with Windows, OS X and Linux operating systems and with any remote desktop application
- Requires no software installation nor configuration
- Supports remote access through Intel AMT
- Requires no external power
- Ergonomic miniature design